Volunteer – We have something for everyone!
HSCO Bend Spay Neuter Volunteer Program
The Bend Spay/Neuter Program (BSN) is a program of the Humane Society of Central Oregon. Volunteers at BSN are part of the HSCO Family.
Opportunities are available at the Bend/Spay Neuter Clinic as well as outside of the clinic with our Community Cat Program. Below is a brief description of the most common opportunities. Please check with the volunteer department to see what is available, as these may vary throughout the year.
Clinic Hero: This volunteer works a morning or afternoon shift and helps with all the things that keep our daily operations running smoothly! From folding laundry to cleaning surgical instruments, cleaning dog kennels to sweeping floors, this job isn’t glamorous but it is very much appreciated (plus you get to see all the cute puppies and kittens!) Clinic days are Wed-Fri.
Cat Trapping Ninja: Community cats abound in Deschutes County and we need your help to make sure they are all fixed and vaccinated! This position has flexible hours and is great for the adventurous type! It requires some driving, lifting and working with cat caregivers. It may involve trapping and/or transporting cats. You can also help simply by being available to check traps and calling it in. This is one of the most rewarding positions we have! Hours vary based on need.
Administrative: Would you love assisting our clients? You can volunteer in our front office and help with daily operations, greet and provide customer service, help with data entry and more. Administrative days are Tues-Sat.
Offsite Events: This person is the face of the Bend Spay + Neuter Program in the community! Events such as Fall Fest, First Friday, and fundraisers throughout the year are just a few examples. This volunteer is outgoing and not afraid to talk to people about HSCO, BSN, what we do and why we do it! Hours vary based on events.
- An online volunteer application must be submitted for consideration into the HSCO Volunteer Program.
- Make a commitment of six months with a minimum of 1 shift per week. Your individual availability will be considered; please discuss this with the Volunteer Department. We do not accept short-term volunteers due to extensive training requirements.
- Attend a mandatory volunteer orientation and any other trainings based on your volunteer placement.
- Minimum age to volunteer is 18 years old.
- Have regular access to the Internet and an email account.
- Student Opportunities and Community Service hours are not available at BSN; however they are available at the HSCO shelter and/or thrift store.
- Every applicant (age 18 years or older) will need to pass a background check.
- There is a nonrefundable $25.00 on-boarding fee which includes the background check, HSCO volunteer t-shirt, ID badge & training. All approved volunteers will be responsible for the fee prior to completing the background check. T-shirts will be provided at the completion of the first shift. This on-board fee insures that we are able to dedicate more resources to our animals and we thank you for your support. If this constitutes a financial hardship for you, you may request a fee waiver by contacting us directly.
Volunteer Orientation & Training
A general volunteer orientation is mandatory for all approved applicants. This orientation introduces you to the volunteer program and opportunities, as well as HSCO’s programs, services and policies. After completing this orientation, you will then be partnered with staff and seasoned volunteers at the clinic/community cat program for specific training. Volunteers that have been inactive for over six months are required to attend a refresher course to be updated on the volunteer program. Any volunteer that has been inactive for over one year will need to reapply for the program.
Bend Spay/Neuter Program – Volunteer Application
We welcome you to apply to our volunteer program if you can meet the above requirements.
If you are interested in the HSCO Shelter, please click here.
Bend Spay + Neuter Clinic:
910 SE Wilson, Ste A1
Bend, Oregon 97702
Wednesday 7:30am to 5:00pm
Thursday 7:30am to 5:00pm
Friday 7:30am to 5:00pm
Vaccine & Microchip Clinic
Closed Sunday & Monday & major holidays
61170 S.E. 27th St.
Bend, OR 97702
Open M-F 10am-5:30pm
Closed Sundays & major holidays
Sign up to get HSCO news and updates delivered straight to your inbox.